Synopsis: An informative, illustrated guide to food, cooking, and the culinary profession by a former White House chef—now in a revised second edition featuring 50% new material
“This book is all meat with no fat. . . . Sure to surprise and enlighten even the most informed gourmands.”—Publishers Weekly (starred review), on the first edition of 101 Things I Learned® in Culinary School
A chef must master countless techniques, memorize a mountain of information, and maintain a Zen master’s calm. This book illuminates the path to becoming a culinary professional by sharing important kitchen fundamentals and indispensable advice, including
• practical how-tos, from holding a knife to calibrating a thermometer to creating a compost pile
• ways to emphasize, accent, deepen, and counterpoint flavors
• why we prefer a crisp outside and tender inside in most foods
• understanding wine labels and beer basics
• how to narrow innumerable culinary options to a manageable few, whether selecting knives, oils, thickeners, flours, potatoes, rice, or salad greens
• how a professional kitchen is organized and managed to maintain its mission
Written by a culinary professor and former White House chef, 101 Things I Learned® in Culinary School is a concise, highly readable resource for culinary students, home chefs, casual foodies, and anyone else trying to find their way around—or simply into—the kitchen.
LightSail includes up to 6,000 high interest, LexileⓇ aligned book titles with every student subscription. Other titles are available for individual purchase.
Watch the power of
Lightsail in action
SUPPORT GROWING READERS
Immediately Engage Students
Simple intuitive design has classrooms reading within minutes.
Exponentially Grow Reading Time
Students love the LightSail experience and naturally spend more time reading.
Accelerate Literacy Development
Students reading 25 minutes a day on LightSail are seeing 2+ years of Lexile growth in a single year.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned,
literacy platform and digital
library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers,
holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey,
elementary, middle, and high school.
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available
for individual purchase.