After the Fact: The Surprising Fates of American History's Heroes, Villains, and Supporting Char acters
Authors: Hurd, Owen J.
Publisher: Penguin Publishing Group
Synopsis: “Where Are They Now?” meets History 101.
We’re all familiar with the seminal events and key players in our nation’s history. But what about the lives lived after
Picking up where traditional histories leave off, After the Fact
uncovers the telling details of history’s most compelling subplots:
- After his famous midnight ride, Paul Revere was later kicked out of the militia for his role in the Penobscot Expedition, the most disastrous military blunder of the Revolutionary War.
- Consumed with guilt over his role as a magistrate in the Salem Witch Trials, Samuel Sewell became an advocate for both African and Native American rights.
- Years after clashing with bootleggers like Al Capone, former Prohibition agent Eliot Ness was involved in a hit-and-run accident while driving under the influence of alcohol.
- After her famous bus ride, Rosa Parks worked as a seamstress, performed behind-the-scenes volunteer work for the NAACP, and sued the band Outkast.
- After resigning the presidency, Richard Nixon unwittingly testified on behalf of Deep Throat in an unrelated conspiracy trial.
Watch the power of
Lightsail in action
SUPPORT GROWING READERS
Immediately Engage Students
Simple intuitive design has classrooms reading within minutes.
Exponentially Grow Reading Time
Students love the LightSail experience and naturally spend more time reading.
Accelerate Literacy Development
Students reading 25 minutes a day on LightSail are seeing 2+ years of Lexile growth in a single year.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned,
literacy platform and digital
library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers,
holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey,
elementary, middle, and high school.
Quick & Easy LightSail Tips to Help Prepare Students for Spring Testing
Believe it or not, test prep season is upon us. With just a few adjustments to your normal LightSail reading block, you can use our platform to help students prepare… Read more
From Powwows to Potlatches: Creating a Native American Themed Unit in Rosen-LightSail
November was Native American Heritage Month. Did you know that more than five million people of Native American decent currently live in the United States? The U.S. is home to… Read more
Celebrating Hispanic Heritage & Culture
At Rosen-LightSail, we are committed to celebrating diversity everyday. From September 15th – October 15th, we specifically celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month by recognizing the contributions of Hispanic and Latinx… Read more
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available
for individual purchase.