Before Your Pregnancy: A 90-Day Guide for Couples on How to Prepare for a Healthy Conception
|Authors:||Ogle, Amy & Mazzullo, Lisa|
|Publisher:||Random House Publishing Group|
|BISAC/Subject:||HEA041000, HEA024000, MED058120|
|ISBN:||9780345518422, Related ISBNs: 034544096X, 0345518411, 034551842X, 9780345440969, 9780345518415|
|Number of pages:||608,|
Now completely revised and updated, the classic guide that helps mothers- and fathers-to-be conceive more easily and boost the odds of a healthy pregnancy
Covering preconception and interconception (between-pregnancy) well-being for women and men, Amy Ogle and Lisa Mazzullo draw on new research from their complementary fields of expertise and reveal how good preconception health can lower the risk of pregnancy complications and improve lifelong health. Why a ninety-day guide? It takes that long for sperm to mature, and at least that much time for the prospective mother to ensure that her body becomes pregnancy-ready. In a warm, intelligent style, the authors address up-to-date topics such as age, heredity, vaccinations, supplements, and weight. In easily accessible chapters, this guide covers such topics as
• Nutrition: meal makeovers plus new facts (and fiction) about fish, omega-3s, vitamins, and herbs
• Personal readiness: how to assess emotional, financial, and physical readiness, including a preconception-friendly exercise program, plus advice for avid athletes
• Becoming an informed patient: choosing a doctor, insurance coverage, baby-friendly medications, and the latest genetic screening guidelines
• Women’s health: expanded coverage of gynecologic and medical conditions affecting fertility and pregnancy (including bariatric surgery and physical disabilities), and steps to create a welcoming womb by optimizing immune health
• Environment: a roundup of environmental exposures and travel tips
• Men’s health: practical lifestyle advice for men to help maximize the number and health of sperm
• Conception: clear signs that predict when to “start trying,” and the truth behind common myths
• Infertility: reassuring options for reproductive assistance
• Interconception health: the best plan for pregnancy recovery, before trying for another
• Resources: questionnaires for your preconception medical visit, and charts to track fertility signs
LightSail includes up to 6,000 high interest, LexileⓇ aligned book titles with every student subscription. Other titles are available for individual purchase.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned, literacy platform and digital e-book library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers, LightSail holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey, throughout elementary, middle, and high school.
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available for individual purchase.