Synopsis: Yes, you can have children after cancer.
When faced with a cancer diagnosis, many doctors and patients rush full-speed ahead into treatment, giving minimal attention to the potential fertility implications. Luckily, the field of oncofertility is growing quickly, and medical writer Gina Shaw, herself a cancer survivor, is ready to unravel the complex and evolving issues involved in pre- and post-cancer fertility and family-building options—for both men and women. Having Children After Cancer
gives you all the tools you need to:
- Understand how different cancers can affect fertility
- Identify which treatments―chemo, radiation, and surgery―can potentially impair your fertility
- Discuss fertility-sparing treatment options with your doctor
- Select the fertility preservation method that’s right for you—from freezing eggs, embryos, and sperm to preserving ovarian tissue
- Analyze the chances of getting pregnant—using natural methods and with in vitro fertilization
- Determinethe best time to get pregnant (and which drug therapies to avoid while doing so)
- Have a healthy post-cancer pregnancy
- Navigate surrogacy and what to tell prospective candidates about your medical history
- Consider adoption and learn about survivor-friendly adoption programs and countries
- Find sample medical letters and other insurance-company red-tape busting information
- Think through the implications of mother- and fatherhood after cancer
- Figure out how to talk to your children about the big C
With a foreword by top oncologist Hope Rugo of the UCSF Cancer Center, this first and only cancer-and-fertility guide for patients and survivors will allow you to be your own best advocate throughout the journey.
LightSail includes up to 6,000 high interest, LexileⓇ aligned book titles with every student subscription. Other titles are available for individual purchase.
Watch the power of
Lightsail in action
SUPPORT GROWING READERS
Immediately Engage Students
Simple intuitive design has classrooms reading within minutes.
Exponentially Grow Reading Time
Students love the LightSail experience and naturally spend more time reading.
Accelerate Literacy Development
Students reading 25 minutes a day on LightSail are seeing 2+ years of Lexile growth in a single year.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned,
literacy platform and digital
library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers,
holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey,
elementary, middle, and high school.
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available
for individual purchase.