Synopsis: An indispensable, sensitive guide for stroke sufferers and those who care for them
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, an American suffers a stroke every forty-five seconds. More than 700,000 Americans each year find themselves struggling to recover from this affliction—and many hundreds of thousands more are there to help them mend.
June Biermann, a stroke survivor, and her coauthor—and caregiver—Barbara Toohey, authors of the bestselling Diabetic's Total Health and Happiness Book, offer this essential source for those recovering from a stroke and those providing them with support.
The Stroke Book offers readers:
- Clear explanations of the science of this often misunderstood condition
- Information on what to expect at the hospital and in rehabilitation
- Analyses of encouraging new developments in stroke therapy, including basic and alternative therapies, and traditional and cutting-edge medications
- Advice on coping with complex rehabilitation needs, including adjustments for nutrition, mobility, and everyday living, and on understanding after-stroke emotional and cognitive changes
- Suggestions for preventing future strokes
- Information on how people recovering from a stroke can reclaim their independence and quality of life—and how caregivers can manage their own stresses and sorrows
- Heartening words on keeping hope alive with patience and fortitude, and the curative power of humor
- Inspiring stories of the stroke and recovery experiences of well-known individuals
With stroke now the leading cause of serious, long-term disability in the United States, Biermann and Toohey's optimistic, user-friendly guide to living well after an attack is a vital tool for recovery.
LightSail includes up to 6,000 high interest, LexileⓇ aligned book titles with every student subscription. Other titles are available for individual purchase.
Watch the power of
Lightsail in action
SUPPORT GROWING READERS
Immediately Engage Students
Simple intuitive design has classrooms reading within minutes.
Exponentially Grow Reading Time
Students love the LightSail experience and naturally spend more time reading.
Accelerate Literacy Development
Students reading 25 minutes a day on LightSail are seeing 2+ years of Lexile growth in a single year.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned,
literacy platform and digital
library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers,
holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey,
elementary, middle, and high school.
Quick & Easy LightSail Tips to Help Prepare Students for Spring Testing
Believe it or not, test prep season is upon us. With just a few adjustments to your normal LightSail reading block, you can use our platform to help students prepare… Read more
From Powwows to Potlatches: Creating a Native American Themed Unit in Rosen-LightSail
November was Native American Heritage Month. Did you know that more than five million people of Native American decent currently live in the United States? The U.S. is home to… Read more
Celebrating Hispanic Heritage & Culture
At Rosen-LightSail, we are committed to celebrating diversity everyday. From September 15th – October 15th, we specifically celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month by recognizing the contributions of Hispanic and Latinx… Read more
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available
for individual purchase.