Unmasking Superfoods: The Truth and Hype About Acai, Quinoa, Chia, Blueberries and More
Authors: Sygo, Jennifer
Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
It can be overwhelming and frustrating to try to understand the claims about “superfoods.” Do raspberry ketones really help you lose weight? Do blueberries really fight cancer? Are goji berries worth a try? For over five years, Jennifer Sygo has been separating the truth from the hype in her popular National Post column. Now in her first book, she tackles even more superfoods and in more depth. You’ll learn why
- -the calcium in kale is absorbed as well as the calcium in milk
- -lentils, chickpeas and beans are not just good for you; when cultivated, they also put important nutrients back into the soil
- -goji, acai, and noni berries may be more hype than substance
- -xylitol, a sugar alcohol with a third fewer calories than sugar, could actually help prevent cavities and even ear infections
- -Sports nutrition (whey protein, chia etc.)
- - Weight-loss (raspberry ketones etc .)
- -people who eat avocadoes tend to weigh less than those who don’t
- -beets might help you run faster—and maybe even perform better in bed
In Unmasking Superfoods, Sygo discusses the latest research on the most popular superfoods and offers recommendations on how—or if—you should incorporate these foods into your diet.
Watch the power of
Lightsail in action
SUPPORT GROWING READERS
Immediately Engage Students
Simple intuitive design has classrooms reading within minutes.
Exponentially Grow Reading Time
Students love the LightSail experience and naturally spend more time reading.
Accelerate Literacy Development
Students reading 25 minutes a day on LightSail are seeing 2+ years of Lexile growth in a single year.
LightSail Education is a comprehensive LexileⓇ and standards-aligned,
literacy platform and digital
library. Including multimodal learning functionality and featuring books from leading publishers,
holistically assesses and nurtures each student on their reading and writing-to-learn journey,
elementary, middle, and high school.
Quick & Easy LightSail Tips to Help Prepare Students for Spring Testing
Believe it or not, test prep season is upon us. With just a few adjustments to your normal LightSail reading block, you can use our platform to help students prepare… Read more
From Powwows to Potlatches: Creating a Native American Themed Unit in Rosen-LightSail
November was Native American Heritage Month. Did you know that more than five million people of Native American decent currently live in the United States? The U.S. is home to… Read more
Celebrating Hispanic Heritage & Culture
At Rosen-LightSail, we are committed to celebrating diversity everyday. From September 15th – October 15th, we specifically celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month by recognizing the contributions of Hispanic and Latinx… Read more
*LightSail offers a 2,000 or a 6,000 title bundle with its student subscriptions. Other titles are available
for individual purchase.