Alleviate those high-stress in-class reading moments...
LightSail gives your kids the skills to read aloud with confidence.
21st-century reading tools for the modern kid! With over 100 customizable features, LightSail becomes your child's own personalized platform specific to their needs.
- Children to record themselves reading a portion of a book and send it to a parent for review and feedback.
- Assesses and improves fluency in an unintimidating, child-initiated format.
- A child can listen to a playback of the recording and try again until they’re happy with their read-aloud.
- When they’re ready, a child saves and submits the recording.
- Parents provide a simple grade and written feedback.
- A simple, objective way of grading a child’s read-aloud assignment
- Parents listen to the recorded reading, read along with the text on-screen, and mark the words the child reads incorrectly
- Choose from detailed labels such as omission, insertion, mispronunciation, substitution, repetition, or self-correction
- Precisely calculates the child’s WCPM (words correct per minute)
- Allows for tracking fluency growth over time
- Identifies problem areas to practice
- Two-part exercises that build self-confidence by improving fluency skills.
- Measures factors like speaking confidence, pronunciation, sophistication in word choice, and more.
- In the read-aloud portion, a child records themself reading a portion of text aloud.
- In the retelling phase, a child records a narration of what the text was about in their own words.
- Playback controls allow children to self-assess and use all available attempts to improve their recordings.
- Parents assess the read-aloud using the running record tool and the retelling using a simple rubric.
- Allows for tracking fluency growth over time.
- Identifies problem areas to practice.
- An activity-based module that can be configured in many different ways to assess and practice linguistic fluency skills.
- Assignments revolve around a task or series of tasks–the versatility comes in how the instructions are given and how the child is asked to respond.
- Example activities could be asking a child to read a poem and respond with a narrative summary, or choosing from among tens of thousands of images within LightSail and asking them to reply verbally with what the picture means to them.
- Parents can record verbal instructions (building vital listening skills and attention to detail) or write instructions for a sequence of tasks (working on executive functioning skills such as completing steps in proper order).
- Develops linguistic fluency as children process instructions and respond appropriately, bringing all their language skills to bear.
Learn how LightSail’s library is tailored to your child’s reading level!
How We Do It!
For extra at-home practice, kids can record themselves both reading and retelling for practice processing written text. speaking, listening, and writing become interlinked with our state-of-the-art modules.
LightSail keeps everything in records for the parent to check at any time to see quantified progress.
A comprehensive assignment module covering our four pillars of literacy: reading, writing, vocabulary, and fluency.
Learn how LightSail uses
Motivate children to read and write by incorporating fun challenges and rewards.
For every LightSail subscription you purchase for your family . . .
. . . the LightSail Foundation will match it and donate a subscription to the charity you select.
We guarantee that if your child reads on LightSail for 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week, for 90 days that their Lexile® level will improve. If it doesn’t, we will give you 100% of your money back.
We're here to help!
Find answers to frequently asked questions or contact us for more support.
You can email us at
How do I know what books are right for my child?
LightSail takes the guesswork out of choosing books for your child by tailoring each child’s library to their precise reading level.
By honing in on a child’s precise LexileⓇ reading score, LightSail can match them with books that are at that “just-right” level to promote optimal reading progress.
And because LightSail contains such a wide-ranging array of content, there is always a vast selection of books for any topic or interest.
What ages/grades is LightSail for?
LightSail’s Premium and Standard subscriptions are designed for children in grades 3 through 12 (ages 8-18).
We also have a World Book Kids subscription for grades 1 through 2 (ages 5-7) and a World Book Early Learners subscription for PreK through K (ages 2-5).
Is LightSail different from an Amazon Kindle or other e-readers?
Unlike static e-readers, LightSail doesn’t just offer children books.
Every book and article in LightSail contains 6 layers of added features that let your child experience books.
By adapting to a child’s precise reading ability, offering them content that is at that “just-right” reading level to promote literacy growth, and providing a fully customizable, rewarding reading experience, LightSail unlocks the magic of reading in ways no physical book or static e-reader can.
What types of parental control do I have over my child’s activity and content?
In short, complete control.
LightSail contains an entire suite of parental control features that govern every aspect of the platform from video viewing, to chats, to what content can be seen and accessed.
Additionally, LightSail’s revolutionary ChildSafe Content Controls lets parents screen and block content according to dozens of nuanced subcategories based on maturity factors, family values, and religious topics.
How can I make reading fun for my child?
LightSail incorporates gamification features into every aspect of the platform, especially reading!
By integrating badges, goals and milestones, social sharing options, motivational messages, and the ability for parents to add customizable gift rewards, LightSail incentivizes reading, writing, and learning just like kids’ favorite games.
Chat with Support or call
You can also email us at
Parental Controls allows you to relax while your child is in LightSail. You have complete oversight of all of your child's activities. The ChildSafe matrix lets you control the content your child is allowed to read. You will be guided through the Parental Controls set up, so you never have to worry about whether a book is not appropriate for your child.
We are LightSail for Reading at Home-a literacy and language arts platform adapted from LightSail Education. LightSail Education has been working to advance literacy skills in K-12 schools since 2012.