IMPROVE YOUR FLUENCY WITH LIGHTSAIL!
See how LightSail helps your child progress their reading confidence and accuracy.
Features that make us great!
From parental controls to one-of-a-kind tools for struggling readers, come see the more than 100 features that make LightSail a complete language arts solution.
- Children to record themselves reading a portion of a book and send it to a parent for review and feedback.
- Assesses and improves fluency in an unintimidating, child-initiated format.
- A child can listen to a playback of the recording and try again until they’re happy with their read-aloud.
- When they’re ready, a child saves and submits the recording.
- Parents provide a simple grade and written feedback.
- A simple, objective way of grading a child’s read-aloud assignment
- Parents listen to the recorded reading, read along with the text on-screen, and mark the words the child reads incorrectly
- Choose from detailed labels such as omission, insertion, mispronunciation, substitution, repetition, or self-correction
- Precisely calculates the child’s WCPM (words correct per minute)
- Allows for tracking fluency growth over time
- Identifies problem areas to practice
- Two-part exercises that build self-confidence by improving fluency skills.
- Measures factors like speaking confidence, pronunciation, sophistication in word choice, and more.
- In the read-aloud portion, a child records themself reading a portion of text aloud.
- In the retelling phase, a child records a narration of what the text was about in their own words.
- Playback controls allow children to self-assess and use all available attempts to improve their recordings.
- Parents assess the read-aloud using the running record tool and the retelling using a simple rubric.
- Allows for tracking fluency growth over time.
- Identifies problem areas to practice.
- An activity-based module that can be configured in many different ways to assess and practice linguistic fluency skills.
- Assignments revolve around a task or series of tasks–the versatility comes in how the instructions are given and how the child is asked to respond.
- Example activities could be asking a child to read a poem and respond with a narrative summary, or choosing from among tens of thousands of images within LightSail and asking them to reply verbally with what the picture means to them.
- Parents can record verbal instructions (building vital listening skills and attention to detail) or write instructions for a sequence of tasks (working on executive functioning skills such as completing steps in proper order).
- Develops linguistic fluency as children process instructions and respond appropriately, bringing all their language skills to bear.
Learn how LightSail’s library is tailored to your child’s reading level!
LightSail offers a wide range of writing modules to guide children, step by step, through different types of writing scenarios, all tailored specifically to a child’s ability and interests.
Take the mystery and headache out of grading. LightSail provides automated grading for many assessments, pre-made grading rubrics, and grading guidance and samples from highly experienced teachers.
Grading your child’s reading assignments is simple and straightforward with LightHouse’s rubrics. A rubric is a matrix of criteria on which a particular assignment can be graded with levels for each.
A comprehensive assignment module covering our four pillars of literacy: reading, writing, vocabulary, and fluency.
Learn how LightSail uses
Motivate children to read and write by incorporating fun challenges and rewards.
For every LightSail subscription you purchase for your family . . .
. . . the LightSail Foundation will match it and donate a subscription to the charity you select.
Our 90 day money back guarantee
30 Minutes a Day + 5 Days a Week + 3 Months = GUARANTEE your child’s independent reading level will improve.*
We're here to help!
Find answers to frequently asked questions or contact us for more support.
You can email us at
How many parent accounts are included with a child's license?
Every family account includes two Parent Accounts.
I am part of a homeschool group and we share teaching responsibilities. How can I access those accounts?
LightSail has created a Teacher/Coach role that can connect with multiple accounts. This is available as an add-on purchase. This account acts as additional parent with full teacher control to all connected accounts.
Is your platform only Faith-Based?
LightSail is available for both Faith-Based and Secular families. A parent can choose to allow or hide faith-based content including Unit Studies. LightSail has created hundreds of faith-based Unit Studies, Bookmarks, Quotations, and Memory Modules.
If I want to purchase a book with your Premium Books Shop, do I have to buy a copy for each license I purchased?
How does LightSail’s ChildSafe protection work?
At LightSail, a parent’s ability to oversee their child’s online experience and align it with their faith and values is of the utmost importance. To this end, LightSail contains an entire suite of parental control features and never-before-seen ChildSafe Content Controls giving parents ultimate peace of mind.
These content controls contain dozens of nuanced subcategories for potentially objectionable material based on both maturity and religious factors. Then, it shows parents if a book contains a reference to any of those subcategories and allows them to block or allow single titles or entire subcategories for each child individually. Our ChildSafe Content Controls offer unprecedented insight into and control over the content your children consume without the need to read every book in advance.
- Block or allow individual pieces of content.
- Block or allow entire subcategories of content.
- Require a child to request parental approval before opening entire subcategories of content.
- Block, allow, or require requesting parental approval for all Classics library content.
- Block or require requesting parental approval for all unrated content.
Click here to learn more about all of our parental controls.
Chat with Support or call
You can also email us at
We are LightSail for Homeschoolers—a complete language arts platform built on the shoulders of LightSail Education, advancing the literacy skills of K-12 students in public, private, and charter schools since 2012.